Sept. 21, 2009 - 7:56pm

- Transmission from lordiego
Sept. 10, 2009

Words cannot describe the joy that little green blinking light brought to me as my eyes caught its constant flickering among the rubble of this one time popular coffee-shop..
It could only mean that the wireless router was indeed working off an active internet connection. Instantly I knew that meant news and communication with the rest of the world,
as well as an active outlet from which to charge my now defunct laptop. My mission is accomplished, I set out 4 hours ago to find exactly this. Its been one week since I've heard from another living soul that's not my wife nor my dogs. The infected seemed to have consumed everything in my immediate area, there are a random few here and there, but the bulk of them seemed to have headed north. Hopefully in pursuit of the groups of looters that have chosen to make a terrible situation worse.
Going back to the beginning, I could have sworn I was more prepared than the average Joe to deal with these types of situation... having lived through two South American economic collapses and having dealt first hand with rioters and looters. But nothing that I've seen in my life could possibly prepare me for what has gone down this past two weeks...
I remember it was nice sunny day, and I stopped by my usual gas station to fill up the tank and pick up a pack of cigarettes on my way to work, when out of the blue, two dirty homeless guys came out of nowhere and attacked the lady on the gas pump next to me. I went around to help her, hoping I could stop what looked like a violent mugging, when one of the "homeless" guys lifted his head to look at me, hanging from his mouth were pieces of flesh from the woman they had just attacked, who now laid on the ground, bleeding and unconscious, half her face having just been consumed by these animals. After a few seconds of shock, I kicked into high gear, jumped into my car and headed to work. I dialed 911 but the lines were busy. I turned on the radio, and there were reports of rioting, random violence, and cannibalism on the streets. I knew then and there things would turn real bad, real quick, I made a 180 and headed home.
We spent the rest of the day securing our residence, boarding up windows and reinforcing doors. With plenty of food and water, I knew we could hole up in our house for a couple of months at least. But when the power went out a week ago, I knew I had to go outside to assess the situation, lest we turn out like those Japanese soldiers who lived for over a decade hiding in the jungle because news that the war was over never reached them.
We are now alone on our street, (except for one house that I believe to still be occupied) everybody else either packed up and left (probably had to abandon their car on the mess that became of the highway), succumbed to these creatures, or was overcome by looters.
I will now leave my laptop in this coffee shop, charging its battery. I will attempt to make contact with this blog every 48 hours.
2 People, 2 dogs. Well stocked. For now.

LorDiego over and out.
- End of transmission

1 comment:

  1. Im with you lordiego, electric power is life.
    You did right to hold up. It is hell outside.

    Stay frosty, and watch your six. Im glad you found a source for the net.

    I look forward to your next transmission.

    DrakinClaw

    ReplyDelete

We are Alive. Post your transmission.